Sunday, September 4, 2011

Autumn Leaves

One of my dad's favorite family events of the year was my sister's annual Labor Day Clambake. Some of my last happy memories of him were at  last year's picnic: my dad and his brother Armand talking away as they loaded up on steamers and homemade chowder, and the picture I have of my dad and mom opening the presents of their final wedding anniversary (the only picture I have of my mom where she looks truly happy and in the moment).

Needless to say, as much as everyone was looking forward to our annual get-together this year, I think we all also dreaded it a little. My dad passed away 18 days after last year's picnic. What would it be like without him there?

One of the things I remember about my dad is how he always saved the pop tops from aluminum cans for the Shriner's Hospital in Springfield, which collected them  to raise money. There'd always be a bag or cup of them by the kitchen counter, and he'd remind me to save the tops of my sodas for him.

As I walked through the yard at the picnic today, this was in my path:


Now, I know, someone had been playing with their soda can, and it came off, and it then somehow got knocked off the table, and it landed in the grass, and any other day I wouldn't have even noticed it.
But today, I'd like to think my dad was there at that picnic with us, and that's how he let me know.

Since you went away
The days grow long
And soon I'll hear
Old winter's song
But I miss you most of all
When autumn leaves
Start to fall.
  
"Autumn Leaves" adapted to English by Johnny Mercer




3 comments:

  1. ♥ beautiful thoughts, alanna. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was definately missed that day. I have those same photos from last years picnic on a digital photo frame in my livingroom. I'm sure he was looking down on all of us last weekend. Kim

    ReplyDelete